I will find them a place to rest


4You have not taken care of the weak ones, healed those that are sick, bandaged those that are hurt, brought back those that wandered off, or looked for those that were lost. Instead, you treated them cruelly. 5Because the sheep had no shepherd, they were scattered and wild animals killed and ate them. 11I the Sovereign LORD, tell you that I myself will look for my sheep and take care of them. 15I myself will be the shepherd of my sheep and I will find them a place to rest. 16I will look for those that are lost, bring back those that wander off, bandage those that are hurt, and heal those that are sick. EZEKIEL 34

L
ooking at the ministry of Jesus on earth reveals the full dimensions of God. On one hand, God is a God of judgment whose judgment is like a consuming fire. On another, He is love. In the scripture read above, God was angry with the leaders of Israel. He queried the way they handled His people whom He calls sheep. He complains that because His sheep had no one to care for them, they scattered off to distant lands away from the sheepfold where wild animals killed and ate them. He decided then that He Himself would become the shepherd of His people. “I myself will be the shepherd of my sheep and I will find them a place to rest.”


            God knew that because of lack of care, His sheep were not resting. They were wandering in the wilderness where there was no ready source of water or pasture. They were open to the burning rays of the sun. No one cared for those that were pregnant or the little lambs that were born. No one was there to defend them against wild animals. They faced all manners of difficulties until God moved with love and decided to intervene.

            We see this same love, passion and genuine concern for human beings when Christ Jesus came to the earth. In one instance after Jesus had taught a great crowd that had listened to him for a long time, He and the disciples needed to rest and eat, and so they went off by themselves to a quiet place on the other side of the river. However, the crowd went and gathered there before Jesus and the disciples arrived. “When Jesus got out of the boat, he saw this large crowd, and his heart was filled with pity for them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. So he began to teach them many things” MARK 6:34. Each time he found people, who were helpless, wandering in the dark and suffering under bondage, he was moved with love and would step out and help them.

            Hear Him declare his love for His people: “I am the good shepherd, who is willing to die for the sheep” JOHN 10:11. He loves the sheep and wants to protect them and provide for them. Remember He says, “I have come in order that you might have life – life in all its fullness” V.10. It is painful however, that in spite of this kind of love available to the sheep, some have not given their lives to Jesus. Jesus admitted this when he said, “There are other sheep which belong to me that are not in this sheepfold. I must bring them, too; they will listen to my voice, and they will become one flock with one shepherd” JOHN 10:16.

            Now, I want you to know that Jesus knows you and loves you. He is the good shepherd and sees you where you are. He has a home, a plan and a place of rest prepared for you and His other people. All you need do is to accept Him as your shepherd and follow Him home. Do not continue to wander in rebellion, sexual immorality, lying, stealing, examination malpractice, violence, hatred, jealousy, malice, drunkenness and general worldliness. He knows that you need good education, good jobs, good spouses, security, good health, promotion and peace. He has provided all these things in that place of rest to which he invites you today. “Peace is what I leave with you; it is my own peace that I give you. Do not be worried and upset; do not be afraid” JOHN 14:27.


             The longer you hide from the shepherd, the longer will you struggle on your own. Are you struggling day and night for food; going here and there for security; moving from one church to another, looking for a man of God to pray for you so that you can have jobs, good wives and good husbands, but rejecting Jesus’ call to come home? The hymn singer says “Earnestly, tenderly Jesus is calling, calling for you and for me; Earnestly tenderly Jesus is calling, calling O sinner come home.” I invite you today in the name of Jesus to come home. Talk to Him and ask Him to be your shepherd and begin to lead you to your place of rest right away. Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment